School of Worship Kids!
School of Worship: KIDS!
"Shout with joy to God, all the earth; Sing the glory of His Name! Make His praise glorious!" Psalm 66:1-2
90 Minute / 1x Week Elementary Ages Choir Program for students aged 7 - 12. Teen Helpers aged 13 - 18 are an important part of our program and perform right along with us!
(Select students may arrive a half hour early to work on “pitching practice” per director invitation.)
What if your child could acquire a wealth of musical tools necessary for reading and performing music in an exciting and inspiring setting? School of Worship KIDS! is designed to equip children with the foundational skills required for learning to read music, so that they can immediately begin using their God-given gifts and talents to glorify Him and encourage others.
Within the choir setting, students work towards mastering the following foundational skills in reading music and producing a healthy and pleasant vocal tone:
• memorizing and counting rhythms with the 23 most frequently used rhythms
• singing and memorizing the sound of 12 musical intervals on the staff and keyboard • naming the lines and spaces of the treble clef
• identifying notes that are moving up, down or repeating
• locating time and key signatures in sheet music
• using page, system, and measures to navigate sheet music during rehearsal
• practicing proper “singer breathing” and tone production
• adjusting vowels and consonants to create a beautiful choral blend
• focusing on the director during rehearsals and performances
• how to encourage one another in a choir setting
We recognize that kids are energetic natural learners and we strive to create an environment that draws students into the blessing of mastering facts and immediately using them to read music and perform! Older and experienced helper teens assist our younger singers as they learn to navigate the musical exercises and reading activities. The rehearsal is an up-beat session consisting of a vocal warm-up routine, music facts memory work, practicing reading sheet music and improving tone, and fun games to break things up in the middle of rehearsal.
At the end of the 12-week session, students will perform the music they studied before a variety of audiences including retirement homes and a family & friends concert.
We’d love to answer any questions you have about SOW: KIDS!